Friday 21 September 2012

El Tigre Progress

Well started the service on El Tigre and to work through some of its issues. Firstly I changed the oil an filter which looks like it was probably the same oil as I put in her three years ago, jet black and piss thin! so she now has 4 litres of Yamalube 10/40 fully synthetic coursing through her galleries which has quietened her down a bit.
Next off was the brakes, I see that she has new pads in the front so I think a change of fluid will be all that's required there and a little bit of  a clean but the back caliper now that's a different story! one piston seized solid and the other just about moving and the pad retaining pin is seized solid with the head fucked up and the pads rusted to it so its going to want another caliper, feel like sending this one to the D.O.T and asking how the fuck can a bike pass an mot with a brake caliper in this condition? Its about as much use as tits on a fish!
As proceedings where abruptly brought to a halt on the brake front I thought I would whip the tank off, wish I had left it on now tbh! The IACV hoses are all perished and one had fallen off so I think that's why it ran like a sack of spanners and smelled rich, also the valves in the petrol tank wont shut off so the tank needs laying on its side to stop it leaking fuel and finally the hose to the pressure regulator is perished so not too bad all in all but going to have to throw more money at the old tart to get her reliable, will be worth it when she's done but that brake caliper is really nipping me head!

No comments:

Post a Comment