Tuesday 14 June 2011

Silverstone Road Trip Part 1

 Atomic batteries to full power! The Red Rocket ready to go.


Friday the 10th of June finally arrived after purchasing my Moto GP tickets back in September and I was off on my own little road trip to see Rossi and the duke of death at silverstone. I set off at 9.15am in pleasant sunshine with a good feeling in my belly that i was going to have a good trip but alas i hadn't planned for the law off sod! it may have been sunny but it was far from warm so I was going to be on the cool side as i realised this when i got through Edinburgh and it was too late too turn back and get some long johns, and a pain that was growing in my right testicle that after an hour was unbearable which i put down to the air hawk seat cover i was using, the seat is smaller on the Vfr than on the Rex so I took it off and it was a huge sigh of relief but I knew that I would have too stop every hour as I get cramp in my left hamstring but out of crushed balls and cramp, cramp is the better option!

View from just before the border





So I pushed on thinking that the next stop would be Newcastle services as I had made Berwick in an hour and everything was going well. I got too the services but as i turned off I took the wrong slip road for the petrol station and couldn't get any fuel so I thought I could make Scotch corner and fill up there when the dreaded worse case scenario flashed up on the matrix A1 closed !!!! Oh fuck not being sure if it was the junction before or after scotch corner I decided to fill up in Durham rather than run dry in a massive tail back, turns out it was closed after the services so I decided to stop for dinner at scotch corner and ask motorists if they where heading North what was happening on the south bound carriageway. After an hour an a half I got the news I was waiting for and was back on the road again although five miles down the road I hit road works and because of the narrow lanes and the width of the panniers I was restricted to 10mph for fifteen miles ( I was ready to throw the bike in the hedge and catch a train by the time I cleared the road works, my clutch hand was killing me with all the constant gear changing and my arse was smarting something rotten.
Blyth services became my salvation with a pee stop and a drink, funny how the world looks so much better after only ten Min's of stretching your legs and the previous hardship was soon forgotten. I continued down the A1 turning off at Newark and had to take my brain out of motorway gear and watching out for cars pulling out of junctions in front of you like they do! But I have to say i had missed the Lincolnshire roads with the long sweeping bends you can see all the way round where you can just power through bends and see whats coming the other way, in Scotland we have some fab scenery but far too many blind corners and it was nice too ride the roads where I cut my teeth as a teenager.
So after seven an a half hours, Knackered, sore arse and a shade cool but still smiling I finally reached Long Sutton where I was going to be based until I came home on Monday


No comments:

Post a Comment