Tuesday 14 June 2011

Silverstone Road Trip Part 2

Rise and shine its half past three am!!! fuck me since when where there two half three's in a day? should be a law against it! anyway despite sensory deprivation two mugs of tea and a bowl of cornflakes it was back on the road again and race day. After the disappointment of seeing Cal Crutchlow crash out during qualifying I was hoping to have a jolly decent day at the races, the weather forecast was troubling but it was supposed to be fine until 1pm and driving to the circuit I witnessed a beautiful sunrise and everywhere just looked glorious as the early mist was lifting off the  fields and we arrived at 6.30 with the gates opening at 7 we was right near the front of the queue which judging how long the queue became very quickly this was a good thing.


Luffield looked a good spot to spectate so we beat a path to there and set up the deckchair , sorted, then disaster struck it started to rain and rain and then the wind got up and it continued to rain and it got colder and colder whilst it rained some more in fact it never stopped raining and I have never been so cold on a day in June in all my forty years. At last the morning warm ups began after what seemed like an eternity in my frozen watery hell which as well as it raining persistently on me the blokes umbrella next to me made sure my l/h side got a through soaking as he tilted it in my direction with a " its tight here" quip on a regular basis.



What I was not prepared for and it was a glorious surprise was the sound of a Moto GP bike, yer mother do they make a racket a wonderful spitfire taking off with a misfire as the traction control kicks in hounds of hell type racket ooh sends a shiver down my spine now thinking about it now, (it did then but couldn't be sure if it was because I was half way to hypothermia)

The Brits did us proud with Scott Redding leading for a few laps before finishing 5th and Bradley Smith finishing 2nd from 38th on the grid and Rossi grabbed 6th after starting 13th which was I think his lowest ever grid position after falling off in the morning warm up.



I must confess to leaving early even with the purchase of an extra fleece I could not stop shivering and it was a miserable experience which was surreal as the day before it was declared to be a drought! so if I return next year I shall be purchasing a grand stand ticket.
Just one final note, i didn't know until today but I was standing 20 yards away from the lass who runs the parts department in Alan Duffus Yamaha in Kirkcaldy and didn't even realise it, how about that for a strange coincidence?
I do also have some video but I am struggling to upload it, once I sort the problem I will post it.
The third and final part to come, oh yes you poor sods this is a trilogy...........










No comments:

Post a Comment